Monday, March 31, 2008

What else could happen?

Here is a rundown on our last week of crazy ups and downs.

Tuesday 3/25
8:30am – Janet’s appointment with Dr. Mericle went great! He basically gave her the “green light” to do as much as she feels (including international travel J and work). The green light only has one catch: she has to get one more MRI in mid-May to make sure no infection has returned. It’s kind of hard to comprehend it now, but this really is a big deal. Assuming there is no infection still in her head, Janet is officially recovered her craniotomy, even though she gets tired easily. The aneurysm has been clipped and we can finally move past it. Technically, she’s healthier than ever before!
9:30am – From the parking lot of the Starbucks on 21st Ave, we called Donna, our contact at the agency working on our Russian adoption. Donna has a great Rhode Island accent, by the way. We tell her the good news about being cleared to travel. Her next step is to call Russia to tell them to set up a date for us to come.
10:30am – As Mark is walking in the door at our house, the phone is ringing … it’s Donna again. She has bad news and good news. The bad news is that the Russian authorities are no longer holding our original referral for us. They said that they would while Janet recovered, but they changed their minds. The boy we thought was going to be our Spencer is going to someone else’s home after all. We’re still not sure what to make of this—it’s confusing and disorienting. One thing is for sure—that little fella is not coming to our house, so we wish him the best and trust God has the right home prepared for him. Pray for him and his forever family.
The good news is that Donna had a new referral for us immediately …

Wednesday 3/26
At lunchtime we received the information on our new referral from Russia and sent copies of it to be evaluated by our Russian physician consultant.
Janet went back to work, but really just to visit for an hour or so.

Thursday - Friday 3/27-28
Janet started going back to work gradually for a few hours at a time. We both stayed pretty anxious about hearing from the Russian doctor, but he would call soon enough …

Sunday 3/30
We both went to church together for the first time since early January.

Monday 3/31
Finally got a call from the Russian doctor, who said this little guy seems to be fine except for a low weight and delayed development. These are common for children in orphanages, so he will just need some “extra calories and care” when he gets home. (We had already planned on that extra care part; he is going to get smothered with love). He will turn two on June 7th. His report seems to indicate that he has a sensitive spirit, so start praying for his transition to our home.

The Russian doctor also gave Janet his professional recommendation concerning her tendency to encounter unusual problems: [in his heavy, heavy Russian accent] “cut it out!” It was pretty funny, guess you had to be there.

Now we are wondering if we should give this new little guy a different name. (Sorry, Uncle Nathan, not “Boris, Kenneth, or William”)

We should learn more information about expected travel times soon.

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Calendar Use 101

We learned something today.

When using an calendar, for example to know when to go to a doctor's appointment or medical procedure, it is important to consult your calendar more than once to make sure you have the right date in mind. It also is important to compare your appointment card with your calendar, perhaps more than once (especially if you are sleep deprived, stressed out, or heavily medicated).

We have learned this the hard way. For weeks we were convinced that Janet had a follow-up MRI scheduled for this Saturday at 11:30am. So today when we got an automated call from the hospital about the MRI appointment on FRIDAY at 11:30, we were surprised. But when we checked the appointment card, there it was, plain as day, "3/7/08". And when we compared that date with our calendars, yup, sure enough, that's Friday not Saturday. Probably writing the appointment in our calendar would have helped us too.

So that's our funny news. Now for the good news ...

We had a good visit with Dr. Mericle's nurse practitioner this afternoon. She said Janet's incision is healing well and it appears to not be infected any longer. After she is done with her IV antibiotics tomorrow they want her to take an oral antibiotic for 10 days, then come back to see the doctor on the 25th. We were so happy to go home after the appointment instead of going to the hospital!

Of course we're not out of the woods yet (how big are these woods?! are we going in circles?), but it seems like we're still "heading" in the right direction--thanks for your prayers!!

Mark & Janet

Saturday, March 1, 2008

New Pictures of Nathan

Today Nathan Daniel Carlton is 9 months! He is getting so big!! I have to get better soon so we will be ready when it is time to go pick him up in Guatemala. It is always an encouragement when we get pictures and we can see he is happy and healthy. Please continue to pray for him and for my quick recovery.