Please humor us for one last post about Washington D. C.
As soon as we found out about our nomination as Angels in Adoption and the opportunity to interact with our Congressman, I knew I wanted to give him a book I had read recently.
Russell Moore, a professor at the seminary I attend, recently wrote a book called Adoption for Life: The Priority of Adoption for Christian Families and Churches. Two of Dr. Moore's four sons came into his family by adoption, and this book tells of their homecoming and the development of their father's attitude and ideas about the significance of adoption. Janet and Nathan had given me the book for Father's Day, and I read it over the summer. It both confirmed and expanded my understanding of the value the Christian faith places on adoption.
I had met one of Dr. Moore's assistants recently, so I contacted him about getting a signed copy. He and Dr. Moore were eager to help, so we went to D. C. with an autographed copy of the book to give as our "thank you" gift to Bart.
This is the note we put with it.
Congressman Gordon,
Our family appreciates greatly the honor of being your Angel in Adoption nominee. It has allowed us to honor the memory of our dear sister Kathy Robison, who worked up to the very last hours of her life to unite families through adoption, and to showcase own little ambassador for adoption--our son Nathan. He reminds us daily of the great love of our Heavenly Father and the great number of orphans who still need homes.
Please accept this book, autographed by the author, as a token of our gratitude. Dr. Moore is a professor at the seminary I attend, and has his own compelling adoption story. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did.
Sincerely, Mark, Janet, and Nathan Carlton
We really do feel like our son, by his winsome personality, polite demeanor, and toddler-like silliness, is an outstanding ambassador for adoption. At first glance it is clear that he came into our family by adoption. But if you watch a bit longer it is even more clear that he is our son. If it walks, acts, talks, and clears its throat like a Carlton, it must be a Carlton! Similarly, God can take absolute strangers--even enemies--and make them into a family, "members of the household of God" (Ephesians 2:19).
I would encourage anyone to read Adopted for Life. In it Dr. Moore writes as an engaging storyteller, an encouraging pastor, an unflinching social commentator, and a tenderhearted father. His work puts Nathan's story--and our own--in the perspective of God's eternal plan. Or if you don't like to read, I found a video synopsis of each of his chapters here!
On another note, we were interviewed last week by the Murfreesboro Post, and they wrote a very nice article about our story. Thanks, Lisa, for your interest in sharing our story!

No comments:
Post a Comment